African Organic Agriculture Training Manual: Beans Crop Management
Common Beans (Phaseolus vulgaris) belong to the very large family of Fabaceae (also called Leguminoseae), which includes food plants such as beans, peas, pulses, peanuts and soybeans. This chapter, however, will focus on the common beans only.
Learning targets for farmers:
- Learn good production practices of beans
- Understand procedure for selecting the most adaptable varieties
- Recognize possibilities for proper integration of beans in the local farming systems
- Learn organic approaches to pest, disease and weed management
- Learn the main requirements for organic certification of bean production