Bacterial Wilt of Potato in Ethiopia: What Should be Done?
▪ 80-90% Bacterial wilt (BW) prevalence was observed in major potato growing regions of Ethiopia
▪ Ralstonia solanacearum has been found at increasingly higher elevations (2500-3000 masl)
▪ Transmission of BW through latently infected asymptomatic tubers has played a role in the spread of R. solanacearum in Ethiopia
▪ Institutional support to control BW and measures to prevent further spread of R. solanacearum in seed potato should take a more comprehensive approach
▪ Quality Declared Seed (QDS), semi-formal seed certification scheme, that designates zero tolerance for BW, is a key determinant to prevent the further disease spread through seed potatoes